Maybe you love the idea of online dating due to the convenience in your busy schedule, as well as the global outreach in meeting many different people. However, are you a little uncomfortable with the idea of Internet dating due to your safety? If you make sure you do it right it can be well worth your time (source: wikiHow).
- Beware of addiction. It is easy to get too involved in online dating relationships; for some it can lead to an addiction. Some find themselves enjoying the flirtatious advances of the opposite sex, both in chat rooms and with online dating services. People get sucked into online relationships and become addicted to the world of online dating and chat rooms. For some it becomes an obsession.
- Know that online communities can be full of deceit and lies due to the anonymity they provide. You can create a persona quite different from yourself. You can act out a part, instead of being a real person. There are characters online ready to prey on the unwary and naive.
- Realize that online dating is every bit real. Do not follow your heart over your head. Don’t journey outside your comfort zone and be overtaken by a seductive search for true companionship.
- Be smart. Tell yourself, “I’ll keep the relationship at the e-mail level before deciding to talk on the phone!” Yes, take baby steps to discover if you have a great deal in common.
- Do your research. Why did you get into online dating–a success story from a friend, or just no luck anywhere else? Lots of books have been written on this subject. You must read a few if you are thinking of entering this medium.
- Be realistic. It’s easy to build relationships via the internet. Realize that for every one of the stories that you hear about meeting and dating the perfect woman, there are stories of relationships that end traumatically when a date’s husband answers the phone. Don’t let an online dating experience go from the chat room to the psychiatrist’s couch; temper your expectations and be prepared.
- Take it slow. Communication has gotten much faster with mobile phones, SMS, internet relay Chat, instant messaging, ICQ. You can be surfing the Web and up pops a message from a potential lover. The nice thing about Internet dating is that you can do it at your own pace without taking time away from work. But don’t let that rush you into anything. There are unfortunately a lot of opportunities for the unsavory members of our society.
- When you have decided it is time to meet, tell them you are going to conduct a background check. Be honest and let them know your security is most important. Ask for their full name, age and city they live in. This is a good way to be sure you are dealing with the real person. If they have a problem giving you this information, then maybe they have something to hide.
- Start the relationship with emails and ask them important information you want in a relationship, be honest.
- Keep your Profile completely private and anonymous.You do not want anyone to know who you are until you are ready to tell them.
- Your profile should only have updated and accurate pictures that show your full length body and a facial closeup. Be honest (no airbrushing). You want them to want to meet “YOU” not be upset when they get there and feel duped.
- Never give any money to the person.
- Never tell them your address. They could turn out to be not what you were looking for.
- The first couple of dates should always be in a public place.