1. Be different – most profiles look exactly the same!
The #1 mistake that people make when making their profile is that they write the exact same things that everyone else does! 90% of profiles feature the same cliche phrases like:
- “I’m a hard-working guy who is looking for a nice girl.”
- “I enjoy hanging out with my friends.”
- “I’m an easy-going, fun person.”
Phrases like this don’t help you stand out and can be boring to read after having seen them so many times. The good thing is, if you write a unique profile you’ll immediately set yourself apart from others on the site and gain an advantage. The key is to present yourself in a creative way.
2. Don’t just talk about it… BE about it!
A common thing that people do on their profiles is they simply state their qualities and interests, as opposed to explaining them. Don’t write something like “I’m a funny guy who loves to sing, and I enjoy spending time with my nephew.” Instead, demonstrate that quality by writing your profile in a funny way. For example, you could write something like this:
“When I’m not busy ‘saving the world’ or ‘being awesome’, I enjoy belting out show-tunes with my 6-month-old nephew Jason. He says we should take our act on the road, but I think he needs to brush up on his harmonies first.”
The above paragraph communicates that the person likes to sing, that he likes children and that he is funny!
3. Give her something to write to you about
One of the issues with online dating is that sometimes a woman may want to message you, but she won’t know what to say. To make things easier, you can do a few things in your profile like stirring up an emotional reaction that will entice her to message you, or including questions for her to answer.
- If you stir up an emotional reaction in your profile, you’ll generally get more responses. Here’s an example: “I’m convinced that ‘Hit me Baby, One More Time’ by Britney Spears is the best song of all-time… and I dare you to prove me wrong!”
- You can also try including questions in your profile to catalyze a conversation. Here’s a simple example: “I love to eat Indian food – the variety of flavors and spices in their dishes incredible! If you know of any local restaurants that serve a decent chicken tikka masala, please share them with me!”
Another approach is to ask a silly question along the lines of:
“Someone told me that online dating sites are littered with strange people, so I figured I should filter out the weirdos by asking some serious questions. Please answer carefully:
- Have you at any point in your life been a fan of Nickelback?
- Have you watched more than one episode of ‘Keeping up with the Kardashians’?
4. Don’t reveal too much – create some mystery
It’s important not to reveal too much about yourself on your profile – leave a little bit to the imagination and create a sense of mystique. It will give the woman some questions to ask you and things to talk about. The goal is to make her want to learn more about you. Also, don’t write down too much detailed personal information, because strangers may be able to use it to look you up on Google or Facebook and find out details that you may not want them to know.
5. Don’t be too serious – you’re not applying for a job!
A common mistake that guys make when writing a profile, is that they treat it as if it’s a resume or job application. By writing a serious profile, they often come across as too desperate. Women may think you’re boring and cannot get dates in real life. Your goal is to be perceived as a person who is interesting and fun, not someone who is dull or creepy.
6. Check your spelling
Finally, make sure to spell-check your profile and avoid using shortened versions of words like ‘u’ instead of ‘you’. It’s important to display a certain level of intelligence and maturity on your profile.
Source: The Best Online Dating Tips