Over the past few years, online dating has increasingly become a more widely accepted way of meeting a future partner and today, as many as one in five relationships are believed to begin online. You will probably be surprised to learn that:
- Messages on a dating service that used words associated with laughing like ‘haha’ and ‘lol’ have a 17% higher chance of ending in an exchange of phone numbers.
- You are 56% less likely to get a person’s number if you use the word ‘sorry’ in your opening line when you message someone on a dating service.
- 61% of adults who have tried online dating agree that it is easier and more efficient than other ways of meeting people.
- 31% of online daters agree that online dating keeps people from settling down, because they always have options for people to date.
- 2 spelling errors in a man’s profile will reduce the chances of a response by 14% from a women. Spelling errors by women don’t affect their chances of getting a response.
- Women receive 17 times as many messages as men on dating services.
- Men use 21.9% more words than women do in their responses to questions about their dating profile.
- 33% of online daters have never actually gone a date with someone they met through a dating service.
- 20% of online daters have had someone for help with their dating profile. 5% of Americans who are in a marriage or committed relationship say they met their significant other online.
- Generally on a dating service the most attractive men send the most messages.
- Women are much less likely than men to initiate contact on a dating service.
- Women are 2.5x more likely than a man to receive a response if they initiate contact.
- Members of dating services who share photos of themselves laughing have over 3 times more chances of communicating with other members.
- Your dating profile is judge in part based on the last profile the person saw before yours. If it is more attractive then yours will be considered more attractive.
- People looking for long-term relationships tend to log into their dating service the most on Tuesdays at 2pm. For younger singles and those looking to hookup the best time to find them online is 9pm.
- 33% of women and 20% of men retouch photos for their dating profile. Most do slight tweaking like removing blemishes, whiten teeth, and/or change skin tone.
- 47% of men and 27% of women have encountered a first date who looked nothing like their dating profile image.
Source: Dating Sites Review